Pupils should be able to:
- Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determine the value of each digit.
- Count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1 000 000.
- Interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero.
- Round any number up to 1 000 000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10 000 and 100 000.
- Solve number problems and practical problems that involve all of the above.
- Read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman numerals.