What does your child learn at school each day? Find information about our curriculum subjects here.
- The National Curriculum is organised in Key Stages. Key Stage 1 (ages 5-7 in Years 1 and 2) and Key Stage 2 (ages 7-11 in Years 3-6). The Foundation Stage curriculum is followed by children in the Reception class.
- Whole school planning procedures include schemes of work and lesson plans. We teach a creative curriculum, and work is planned to meet the individual needs of each pupil.
- The curriculum is delivered using a variety of teaching methods, sometimes whole class, sometimes group and sometimes individual.
- The school has internal procedures for monitoring the teaching and learning. These involve the Headteacher, Senior Leadership Team and Curriculum co-ordinators.
- All policies are available in school for parents to read.
- At Botley School we follow the Read Write Inc when teaching children phonics. For more information about this scheme, you can access the Read Write Inc - Parents information.
- The school does not follow a discrete reading scheme, but instead we encourage children to read a variety of books through progressive ‘bands’. Many of these early readers are part of the ‘Oxford Reading Tree’. Under the guidance of their class teacher, the children choose books at a particular band until it is agreed they should move on to the next one.